JAMB BIOLOGY QUESTIONS
1.Milk can be pasturized by?
Ans: heating to 75⁰C for 20 minutes
2.All living cells require water because?
Ans: is a medium for all metabolic reactions
3.A characteristic that can possibly be shared by both living and non living organism is
Ans: increase in size
4. viruses are regarded as non-living because they?
Ans: can neither respire nor excrete
5. When a virus is placed in a non-living medium it
Ans: becomes crystallized
6. The smallest living organisms which share the characteristics of both the living and non-living matter are
7. Which of the following does a virus have in common with animal cells?
8. The ability of a living organism to detect and respond to changes in the environment is referred to as?
9. In which of the following tissues do the cells have the ability to divide?
10. All living organisms
11. Most cells in higher animals retain their power of division except
Ans: nerve cells
12. The organelles present in cells that are actively respiring and photosynthesizing are?
Ans: mitochondria and chloroplast
13. which of the following is a characteristic of animal cell?
Ans Absence of large vacuoles
14. The part of the cell solely responsible for respiration is the
15. Which of the following does not exist as a single free cell?
16. Viruses are considered to be living organism because they?
Ans: Possess transmittable characters
17. Which of the following does virus have in common with animal cells?
18. All living organisms
19. In which of the following tissues do the cells have the ability to divide?
20. where is energy produced in a cell?
21. Which of the following cell constituent is not common in both plant and animals?
22. The function of ribosomes in cells is?
Ans: protein synthesis
23. Which of the following structures is common to Euglena, white blood cell and amoeba.
24. The organelle involved in tissue respiration is the
25. The membrane surrounding the vacuole in plants is called?
Ans: endoplasmic reticulum
26. Which of the following plants is swollen shoot disease common?
27. The cilia in paramecium are used for ?
28. which of the following is an organ?
29. Which of the following organism does not exist as a single free living cell?
30. An amoeba and an unlaid chicken eggs are ?
Ans: single cell
31. Euglena may be classified as a plant because it
Ans: has chloroplast
32. A group of similar cells performing the same function is a?
Ans: a tissue
33. What is the level of organization in an onion bulb?
34. Which of the following is the simplest living organism?
35. The lowest level of organization in living organisms is
36. which of the following is the most complex according to their cellular level of organization?
37. The correct sequence of levels of organization starting from the lowest is
Ans: cell – tissue – organ – system
38. The cell component that is present in prokaryotic cell is the?
39. The chromosomes of members of the kingdom monera are within the?
40. The bacteria type that are arranged in chains are the ?
41. which of the following groups of cells is devoid of true nuclei?
42. Amoeba moves by means of?
43. The swollen shoot disease of cocoa tree is caused by a ?
44. The organ which is sensitive to light in euglena is the?
Ans: large spot
45. In amoeba, osmoregulation is carried out by the?
Ans: contractile vacuole
46. The spores of mucus are dispersed by?
47. An organism found on a bare rock surface has features of algae and fungi?
Ans: a lichen
48. An organism which exhibits extracellular digestion is?
49. A multinucleate body without internal cell boundaries is characteristic of
50. A plant which has a horizontal underground stem is what?
51. A plant which has a horizontal underground stem is what?
52. Which of the following is NOT characteristics of monocots plants?
Ans: Occurrence of secondary thickening
53. Mosses, liverworts and ferns can be grouped together as?
Ans: are seedless plants
54. Spirogyra and mucor can be grouped together as Thallophyta because?
Ans: their bodies are made up of thallus and filaments alternatively
55. Underground stems which grow horizontally through the soil are?
56. Which of the following is seed bearing?
Ans: Whistling pine
57. Which of the following has cones?
58. In most true ferns sporangia are grouped into?
59. The term thallophyta refers to?
Ans: algae and fungi
60. Double fertilization is a unique feature of
61 Spirogyra, Euglena and Chlamydomonas share many characteristics except?
62. In bryophytes sex organs are produced in the?
63. Which of the following is a non green plant?
64. A water medium is necessary for fertilization in
65. Alternation of asexual and sexual modes of reproduction is found in
66. In corm food is usually stored in the?
67. Seed plants are divided into?
68. Plants that show secondary growth are usually found among the?
69. Which of the following is organism is multicellular?
70. A water medium is necessary for fertilization in
71. The most abundant group of organism in the animal kingdom is?
72. Which one of the following animals is NEVER a secondary host of tapeworm?
73. In tapeworm, the suckers on the scolex are used for
74. Which of these is not true of insects? The possession of
Ans: two pairs of antenna
75. Which of the following insects have incomplete metamorphosis during its life cycle
76. The two types of human tapeworm can be distinguished by the presence or absence of a
77. which of these animals is not metamerically segmented?
78. which of these worms is beneficial to Man?
79. Joint skeleton is absent in?
80. which of these animals is radially symmetrical?
81. The male cockroach differs from the female by having?
Ans: A pair of styles
82. which of the following is not a Xteristics for snails?
Ans: Chitinous exoskeleton
83. The following organism are hermaphrodites except
84. The pedipalpi in spiders are used for
85. Hydra removes undigested food by?
Ans: passing it through the mouth
86. Which of the following insects undergoes incomplete metamorphosis
87. The soil swallowed by earthworm to form the worm cast is ground up in the ?
88. The cnidoblast cells found in hydra are used for
Ans: Offence and defence
89. In snails, the hard calcareous shells are secreted by the
90. The organism that has hydrostatic skeletons
91. The process of shedding the exoskeleton of an arthropod is known as?
92. An insect with mandible takes food by?
Ans: biting and chewing
93. Nematodes are more advanced than Platyhelminthes in that they?
Ans: Have a gut with mouth and anus
94. Name some economic importance of cockroach
95. An example of poikilothermic organism is a?
96. Which of the following animal is cold-blooded?
97. Which of the following is not found in female agama lizard?
Ans: nuchal crest
98. Fishes are cold-blooded because their body temperature is?
Ans: Constantly low
99. In which of the following organism is glycogen stored?
100. A feature which adapts birds to flight is the possession of
Ans: light bones
101. cold blooded animal are referred to as?